International Ethics Olympiad

Our Year 11 International Baccalaureate Philosophy class gained the singular honour of second place in the national Ethics Olympiad and then proceeded to the international competition against teams from Canada, China and the USA (a six-hour online marathon exploring issues including those surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic).

As student Sophia Juarez (pictured third from left) said, ‘competing in the Ethics Olympiad was such great fun’.

‘The whole team was very excited’, she said.

‘This was a new experience for many of us but we have felt so supported by our teachers and we are so grateful… I don’t think I realised what an impact the study of philosophy would have on my everyday decision making when I chose philosophy to undertake in senior years. Every lesson I am coming to appreciate not only the critical thinking and innovative thinking that prominent philosophers have demonstrated but the framework it provides from which to address global issues…I can now testify that studying philosophy has already shifted my perspective in my day-to-day life.’