Women in Engineering

On Tuesday, all of Year 7 had some guest speakers come during our MDP time. These women were from Sydney University and were talking to us about women in engineering. This was raising awareness for International Women’s Day which is taking place on 8 March.

During the talk with the guest speakers, we learnt all about the different jobs in engineering and all the different jobs in engineering that women excel at. We learnt about the different types of engineering roles: Biomedical engineering, which was about designing things like pacemakers and prosthetic arms and legs. Another one was Computer Programing where we learnt about how people made and designed things like robots and artificial intelligence. There was also Civil engineering where engineers designed things like bridges, roads and sewerage systems. Another one mentioned was Mechanical engineering which is pretty self explanatory, you do all sorts of things from learning how cars work to knowing how massive machines work.

I thought that the talk with the guest speakers was really interesting and was a real eye opener for me because before that, I had no idea what an engineer did. I think that in this day and age women are getting more and more freedom to do what they want and to show others around them what they can do. It made me think about all the possible things I can do when I grow up and how I can pursue any career I choose. I think it was great that we had such awesome guest speakers that explained so much to us. 

Grace Campbell Year 7